Saturday, February 11, 2023

Verichrome Pan Film in Mississippi and Louisiana (Abandoned Films 06b)


In 2020, my friend from Indiana sent me a roll of the long-departed Kodak Verichrome Pan film in 120 size (for medium format cameras). I used it on a snowy day in Vicksburg in early 2021 and loved the results. It was high resolution and just perfect for my type of photography. I never tried Verichrome Pan when it was in production, but now I wish I had. 

I have had surprisingly good results with discontinued black and white films such as Kodak Panatomic-X and GAF Versapan. But it is always a gamble with expired film and I decided to only buy fresh product from now on. Well, as you can guess, I was unable to stick to my own advice. A seller on eBay claimed two rolls of Verichrome Pan had been frozen for years, so I succumbed to temptation.

Of the two rolls, the first was perfect. The other was so thin, it was useless. That is the risk of buying expired film. I used that first roll in the Mississippi Delta on a blazing hot June day with harsh and unforgiving light. The camera was my Rolleiflex 3.5E with its 5-element 75mm ƒ/3.5 Xenotar lens. Even today, this 1959 camera is totally usable and optically excellent. Used Rolleiflexes in good condition sell for serious $$s on eBay or via auction houses now. Click any photograph below to see it expanded.


Louise, Mississippi


Louise is a small agricultural town in Humphreys County west of Yazoo City. It consists of a small core of houses with silos and former shops along Main Street. It may have been busy decades ago, when the railroad ran through town. But today, it is forlorn.


Main Street view north, Louise, Mississippi (1/30 ƒ/11, Rollei orange filter)
Main Street, Louise
Silos (1/15 ƒ/16, orange filter)
Main Street stores, Louise (1/30 ƒ/16, yellow filter)

Lee Hong Grocery, Louise (1/60 ƒ/11.3, yellow filter)
Quiet afternoon in Louise



Yazoo City, Mississippi


Yazoo City was the "Gateway to the Delta." It is still a busy town with a harbor on the Yazoo River. Timber is a major product. But the town is a bit rough.



Fixer-upper store, West Broadway, Yazoo City (1/60 ƒ/11.5, yellow filter)
Garage and gin, 301 West Bridge Street (1/125 ƒ/8, yellow filter)


Tallulah, Louisiana



The last stop on our Verichrome Pan trip is Tallulah, Louisiana. Tallulah is just off I-20 about 20 minutes west of the Mississippi River bridge.


Former Tallulah High School, Bayou Drive (1/30 ƒ/11.5, orange filter)

This was a blazing hot (95º + F) afternoon with harsh sun. I had one frame left and stopped at the old Tallulah high school. Much of the roof has collapsed, but the brick walls remain. The ball field to the left out of the picture view is still in use. It is sad that these handsome brick buildings are abandoned.

This ends our short Verichrome Pan tour. I probably should have dialed back from the orange filter to deep yellow or just plain medium yellow. Internet users claim that Kodak's discontinued Plus-X film was very similar in tonality and grain. My friend will send a couple of rolls of 35mm Plus-X for me to try. I'll post the results later.

Note: some film users on the internet believe the new Kentmere 100 in 120 size looks much like Verichrome Pan. I need to try it. Kentmere is made by Ilford company, and the 120 size is a recent (early 2023) introduction. 

3 comments:

Jim Grey said...

Man, do I love that VP look. It's intriguing to hear that Kentmere 100 in 120 might resemble VP!

Rod Franklin said...

the kentmere 100 is very good as well as the 400 i also use fomapan.
i an not aware that kentmere comes in 120. I am wrong it is new B&H doesn't have it yet. Freestyle has it $5.99. by the way I enjoy your website. thank you

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

Thanks to you all. It will be awhile before I order some of the Kentmere 100. I have far too many rolls of film in the freezer that I should use first.