Astoria is fun! This historic trade and fishing city is near the mouth of the Columbia River. Despite its proximity to the Pacific Ocean, it largely protected from ocean swells by the Columbia jetties, the ebb tide shoal, and by sand bars in the river. The town has become trendy, with great restaurants, plenty of hotels, and other tourist paraphernalia. Winter must normally be gloomy and wet, but my last two visits were sunny. In January 2026, the sun was glorious - just for me?
Astoria in Mono
![]() |
| Astoria–Megler Bridge (opened 1966) (135mm Pentax-M lens, yellow filter, tripod-mounted) |
![]() |
| 11th Street view north (135mm Pentax-M lens) |
The Columbia River flows majestically past the city. It dominates the scenery and the emotional feel of the community. Houses climb the hills and have spectacular views.
This was interesting, a Quonset Hut shed where a locomotive foundation is restoring a steam locomotive. No one was at the project the day I stopped. But I want to return and see how they are progressing with their locomotive. The tracks in the picture above run into a mound that supports a parking lot, so the train group will need to lay new rail out the back.
I wonder if this is a surplus WWII Quonset Hut? Thousands of them were available after the war.
Astoria in Color
Here is the locomotive shed taken on Kodak Ektar 100 film with a Zeiss Ikon ZM camera and a 35mm ƒ/2 Summicron lens.
![]() |
| Riverwalk mural |
![]() |
| Bigfoot drinks coffee?? |
Dear Readers, you know the inevitable end to vigorous exploring and walking: Go eat some of the best fish 'n chips I have ever tasted at Astoria Brewing Company. Plus, have some ales or beers. Mmmm....
The square black and white photographs are from Kodak Tri-X 400 film via my Rolleiflex 3.5E twin lens reflex camera with its 75mm ƒ/3.5 Xenotar lens (5-element version). The color rectangle frames are Kodak Ektar 100 film from a Zeiss Ikon ZM rangefinder camera with 50mm and 35mm lenses. I will write more about the ZM later.










5 comments:
Cool. Now I want some fish and chips!
I would guess you are probably right that it could be one of the quonset huts available. The Astoria newspapers from 1945-1955 had many articles on the uses of the quonset huts available after the war ended. Schools, vet housing, and even a machine shop, were all mentioned. I remember one of the quonset hut movie theaters in Abilene, and a couple of other buildings. Now I wonder about them!
I don't recall ever seeing a bridge like that one. Graceful looking, but maybe not one I would like to be crossing during an earthquake.
Those Quonset Huts (named after Quonset Point, Rhode Island) were so practical. And they last decades. A Wikipedia article states that 170,000 were built during WWII.
Designing and building the foundations for the piers must have been challenging, especially considering the shifting sand shoals.
Post a Comment