Tuesday, February 15, 2022

More Decay: Raymond Road and W. Highland Drive, Jackson, Mississippi

After walking around the deserted and trashed Nova Park apartments at 1115 Raymond Road in southwest Jackson, I drove a few blocks eastward. There were more empty apartments and abandoned houses.


This was another empty apartment just east of the Nova Park that I described in the previous post. It was a different architecture but still a generic commercial unit. However, it looked reasonably modern and intact; why was it empty? Some of the air conditioner units had already been looted.


Further east, I saw some tired and closed stores. 


And then there were the tired and abandoned homes. The brick Craftsman cottage with the tile roof was a handsome little home in the day, with well-done brickwork? Look at the interesting arches. What happened? Where did the residents go? 


From I-20, you can see another group of empty apartments near the turnoff to US 49. These are (or were) the Highland Square Apartments on West Highland Drive. I drove by, and most are forlorn and empty, but not trashed. As of 2021, it looked like a few units were still rented, but most were closed. Once again, what happened?

This ends our short tour of Raymond Road and West Highland Drive. Stand by for more Jackson exploration in the future.

I took these photographs on Fuji Acros film using my 1949 Leica IIIC and its original 5cm ƒ/2 Summitar lens. I added medium or deep yellow filters for scenes with sky.

3 comments:

Suzassippi said...

I love that little brick cottage! What a shame it went to that state.

Kodachromeguy said...

It was once a very nice little cottage. It was well-built with brick exterior and clay tile roof. I just do not understand why this happens.

Suzassippi said...

Took me a while to find it on google maps but I wanted to see it in context. It is like so many other places these days. Still, I would like to know its story--it would not change anything, but I think the stories of places matter.