Saturday, June 10, 2023

Autumn in Athens 2022 (Part 1)

2022 Note



Likavitou Hill from the Alexandros Soutsos Museum

Greece had a warm autumn in 2022 with benign weather. Tourism had plunged in 2020 when the pandemic shut down most leisure travel around the world, but it picked up with a vengeance in 2022. People were thrilled to be traveling again. Tourists were swarming all over Athens and the islands. My relatives were surprised because usually the tourists start to disappear by mid-October. But for 2022, local merchants and restauranteurs were thrilled. Hotels were heavily booked. The islands were swarming. I heard several times that merchants were very pleased with American tourists because they spent a lot of money, were especially friendly, and did not seem to care about prices. Hmmm.....


First Cemetery


First Cemetery (2018 photograph)


First Cemetery is the resting place for generations of prominent Athenians. It is an oasis of gracious trees and green in the urban jungle. Melina Mercouri and Heinrich Schliemann reside here. Some older photographs are here. It is off the usual tourist route but worth a visit. 


Protest apartment, Leof. Alexandros (Samsung phone snapshot)


Anafiotica and the Pláka


Likavitou Hill from Anafiotica (35mm ƒ/2 Summicron, deep yellow filter)

Tucked under and around the northern and eastern slopes of the Acropolis is the Pláka, the historical neighborhood of Athens occupied since the medieval era and, probably, since antiquity. The labyrinthine streets twist and turn past little houses. You could almost be in a village in the mountains. Well, except for the drone of traffic in the distance. And the different languages of the tourists. Every time I visit Athens, I take my obligatory walk through the Pláka, look at the scenery, take some photographs, eat a hearty lunch, and ponder the passage of history.

I have photographed here before, but each time I visit Athens, I can't resist doing it all over again. Here are some samples from October of 2022. 



Balcony, Thrassiliou
Stairway to ? (25mm ƒ/4 Color-Skopar lens)
Cottage courtyard (25mm Color-Skopar lens)
Where are my customers? Aretousas Street (25mm Color-Skopar lens)

Here's looking at you, Graffiti Alley

I took most of these photographs with Fuji Acros film using my Leica M2 camera and various lenses. Praus Productions in Rochester, NY, developed the film.

3 comments:

Jim Grey said...

I work with a team of software engineers based out of Serbia. The lead engineer is just back from a month in Greece. I said, "How exotic!" He said, "Eh, it's kind of our default vacation place - I can reach the Grecian coast in 6 hours by car."

So I said, "I can reach Chicago in 3 hours by car." He said, "Oh man, I'd love to see Chicago! I've only ever seen it on television shows from the US."

Exotic is relative, I guess!

Mike said...

Nice results from the Acros. It was always a favorite of mine.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

Thanks, gents. Jim, in winter, your friend might prefer to visit Greece instead of Chicago. But the Pindus mountains of central Greece have a cold and snowy winter. Even Athens gets an occasional snow. Homes all have central heat in Athens.