Thursday, April 4, 2024

From the Archives: Pike Place Market (Seattle) in 1973

Once upon a time, when I was young and energetic, I lived in Seattle, Washington, while attending the University of Washington (the 'Dub). I liked to go downtown with my friends to explore or eat at interesting restaurants. I found some March 1973 negatives from that previous life. 

My dad had been visiting from out of state. We took the ferry boat to Bremerton and later explored Pike Place Market. He liked Pike Place, but that was expected. He was an old hand at exploring markets, such as the famous Flea Market in Athens or the Scott's Market in Rangoon.


My dad checking out the scene
The fish fellow looked crabby
Candles were such a thing in the 1970s
Mellow time, 1973-style
Chopping the cows.
Stacking the crabs neatly. It reminds me of the Central Market in Athens. 

I took these photographs on Kodak Tri-X 400 film with my Nikkormat FTn camera and 28mm ƒ/3.5 or 50mm ƒ/2 Nikkor lenses. I vaguely recall developing the film in the darkroom in McMahon Hall with Microdox-X developer. I did not know what I was doing, but still, the negatives have survived a half century (just as our digital files will, right?). They were scratched and had dirt and lint issues, so I cleaned the examples you see here with the heal tool in Photoshop CS6. 

We will look at more Seattle pictures in future articles. Please type "Seattle" in the search box to see older entries.


2 comments:

Mike said...

Nice results with those pictures in what looks like pretty dim light. I wonder if you will see any big changes in the market since you made those shots. I looked at 1st Ave. with Google Maps and see that there have been a lot of trees added, which makes the street look a lot more civilized than when I lived there.

Kodachromeguy said...

Mike, I have only been in the Market briefly recently. At first glance, it looks much the same, but my previous visits in the early 1970s, 1985, and 2004 were a long time ago. On my next run to Seattle, I need to spend a few hours at the Market, maybe with some Tri-X again.
Kodachromeguy