Wednesday, August 24, 2022

More Wide View in South Vicksburg (XPan 07)

In the previous two articles, we wandered around downtown Vicksburg with the panoramic Hasselblad XPan camera. This time, let's revisit the delights of the city south of Interstate 20. I have explored Hwy 61 South before, which is lined with industries and some sites worthy of an urban decay chronicler.  


The Tomato Place (30mm lens)
The Tomato Place (30mm lens)

The Tomato Place, at 3229 Hwy 61 South, is a popular lunch stop and vegetable stand. You can also buy local honey, fresh bread, cookies, and other goodies. Nice place! Mallory generously lets me photograph inside

Guard shack, Miller Street

The tracks that cross Rifle Range Road are not in the best condition. I thought they were unused until one day, a locomotive trundled up to me and I had to move my tripod. The locomotive was pushing a tank car to the Halcros Chemicals company. I followed this rail line south out of Vicksburg in a 2021 article. It once ran all the way to Port Gibson, but most of the track has been removed.


Here is the little peach-colored store/gas station on Warrenton Road. I do not recall it being open for business.

Fixer-upper truck (45mm ƒ/4 lens)

The junk yard at Rubber Way never fails to please. But it appears to be slightly cleaner than before. Possibly the owner is clearing out the wrecks? Where will I photograph junk cars when it is gone? Quelle horreur!

Thank you all for following along. These are photographs from a Hasselblad XPan camera with its superb 45mm ƒ/4 and 30mm ƒ/5.6 lenses using Kodak Portra 160 film. Northeast Photographic in Bath, Maine, developed the film and I scanned it on my Plustek 7600i film scanner. I merged the negatives with Photoshop CS6.

3 comments:

Suzassippi said...

An interesting mix! The Tomato Place is unique--needs that red truck cab in it!

Mike said...

Such lush greenery compared to the Southwest. What does one do with boiled peanuts?

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

I am not too fond of boiled peanuts, but they are popular all through the South. As for lush, these are from winter! You should see it in mid-summer. It is hard to do photography of my type in summer because many buildings are obscured with brush and limbs.