Thursday, December 6, 2018

Railroads of Greece 7b: The Corinth Railroad Station with Black and White Film

When I visited the now-unused train station in Corinth, Greece, last October (2018), I had two cameras with me. The little Yashica Electro 35CC had color Kodak Ektar 100 film, and my Leica M2 was loaded with Fujifilm Acros black and white film. Last week, I showed you some of the color results. Here are some of the black and white frames.
Corinthos train station (not in use), 35mm f/2.0 Summicron lens, Leitz polarizing filter. 
Control lever for points, Corinthos, Greece
Being a sunny day with the classic brilliant Greek light, the setting does not have quite enough of that urban decay aura. The Acros film is very fine grain and does not look gritty, unlike 1960s Tri-X.
When I was last here in 2011, there was more rolling stock on the tracks, but much of it is now gone.
I am surprised that these rotating water spigots were preserved. I have seen other spigots at stations throughout the Peloponnese.
End of the line, Corinthos, Greece.
Dear Readers, you can decide if you prefer color or monochrome for this type of setting.
Ticket for the full-gauge Athens Suburban Train.
Photographs are from Fujifilm Acros film exposed at EI=80. I used a Leica M2 rangefinder camera with a 35mm f/2.0 Summicron lens, with yellow or polarizing filters to darken the sky. This is the Type 3 35mm, the pre-aspherical model. The film was developed in Xtol by Praus Productions, Rochester, New York. I scanned the negatives with a Plustek 7600i film scanner controlled by Silverfast Ai software.

No comments: