Monday, March 11, 2024

Olympia with Fuji NPH400 (Abandoned Films 12) (Oly 03)

Dear readers, we will continue our irregular series on Olympia, Washington. 

Moving to a new home in a new state was quite an adventure. Closets and boxes in our former home revealed all sorts of treasures (much of it junk). How did we accumulate all this stuff? Is this the curse of American suburbia? 

But I found some goodies. The depths of the freezer disgorged a box of 120 size Fuji NPH 400 film. The box expired in Feb. 2005. The last time I used a roll may have been in 2018, when I drove to Asheville, North Carolina, to The Vintage car show. Six years later, was it this NPH still viable? 



Being a 400 film, I thought it would be useful for hand-held work with my Rolleiflex, which has a ƒ/3.5 lens. One drizzly January morning, I walked around west Olympia while waiting for car repair. 


Eagan's Drive-In, 1420 Harrison Avenue - not yet open for the day
Eagan's toilets, maybe not available today
The dancing burger, Eagan's Drive-In
Division Street view north
Taco trucks ready to roll, Harrison Avenue

I took the Rolleiflex out on a cheerful sunny day. The NPH film responded much better.

Swantown Boatworks, Marine Drive NE 

Conclusion: Semi-success, this long-expired NPH 400 was still viable. But some of the frames were slightly underexposed, some more extreme. My Luna Pro light meter is working correctly because other rolls of film from 2024 are properly exposed, frame after frame. Could this old NPH film be more sensitive to reciprocity failure because of its age?  (Reciprocity with camera film means that the film sensitivity is not linear over a standard light range. Therefore, darker scenes need more exposure than a light meter might indicate.) For this roll, I set the Exposure Index at 320, but next time, I will use EI=200 or even lower. Regardless, it is time to use it up. Even frozen, it will not last forever.

Thanks for enduring another adventure in expired camera film. 


3 comments:

Mike said...

Nice to see something of the capabilities of Fuji NPH. My old Silverfast scanning software has a color profile for NPH, but I've never before seen it used.

Jim Grey said...

Looks like a very nice film. No wonder so many people were sad when it was axed.

Kodachromeguy said...

I wish I had used more of it when it was fresh. It is amazingly fine grain for a 400 film. But medium format usually makes grain a non-issue. Here is an earlier use of Fuji NPH film in central North Carolina:

https://worldofdecay.blogspot.com/2018/10/on-road-to-hot-springs-north-carolina.html